Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
OceaniaGenWeb Project Logo

Please Help - John Charles Darke and John Henry Theakston

Posted by mkplato 
Please Help - John Charles Darke and John Henry Theakston
May 19, 2013 11:29PM
Dear Members,

I am posting for the first time so I hope I am following the correct protocol. I need help to find descendants of John Charles Darke - the explorer who died in 1844 - and or his second in command John Henry Theakston. The reason behind this request is:

In 1843 my ggrandfather Sam Harris and his mate Joseph Cummings jumped from a whaling ship at Fowlers Bay, S.A. They trekked overland and down the western coast of Eyre Peninsula. During this trek they took readings of the land they traversed. Eventually they were picked up by a survey ship, the Governor Gawler and taken to Pt Lincoln - where they were thrown into jail for illegal entry (early refugees!!). After giving statements on the fertile land they had encountered - they were released. Based on their accounts John Charles Darke was enlisted to explore the area. His expedition started on August 29, 1844 from Pt Lincoln - by October he had been speared to death - John Henry Theakston was at this side. It is now 170 years since the initial trek - descendants are mounting a retracing of the trek (by motorised vehicles) in October 2013. We would very much like to find descendants of Darke and Theakston in the hope they might join this tribute to a courageous group of young men who opened up this area of Eyre Peninsula ....any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking everyone in advance for this opportunity.
Regards Karen Kestigian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login